Writing a resume cover letter is important to ensuring that the resume itself is read. Completion of this how-to resume video guide will provide tips for writing a resume cover letter, its elements and making sure it is read. Watch this video before writing your resume cover letter.
1. Writing a Quick Read - The average reader has dozens of resume cover letters to read. The average letter is read for ten seconds unless the reader knows you. The less you write, the more they read. Leave a lot of white space in your resume cover letter. A resume cover letter contains three parts. These include the opening paragraph, bullets listing your qualifications and the closing paragraph.
2. First Section - Have the opening of your resume cover letter addressed to a specific person. Address it specifically to the appropriate person, not 'to whom it may concern'. Say how you are connected and what you are applying for. For example, your resume cover letter may say, 'At the suggestion of Dan Miller, I'm applying to X position.'
3. Second Section - The second section of your resume cover letter contains five to seven bullets. These should be your best qualifications and experience that match the job posting. Select your most impressive skills experience. This part of the resume cover letter should address whatever they're asking for.
4. Last Section - In the closing paragraph of your resume cover letter, say you look forward to speaking with the employer. If you mention follow up, do it. Try to find someone in the company to speak with. It is okay to mention that you admire the company in your resume cover letter, but keep it short. Their goal is to tell what you can do for them and how your qualifications will meet their mission.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades