They say you have to be in the right place at the right time... how about an elevator? If you happen to run into your ideal employer or business partner, in an elevator – or anywhere else for that matter – you'll have about 30 seconds or less to wow them. Here's how to do it.
What you will need:
• Skills or ideas
• A list of descriptive phrases
• A description of your qualifications
• Mirror (optional)
Step 1: Brainstorm
Brainstorm a list of phrases that describe you and cross off any cliches or catch phrases. Keep only the most unique and honest statements.
Step 2: Craft a description
Craft a description of qualifications that you can share in 30 seconds or less.
Step 3: Practice
Practice your pitch on friends and family. Ask for feedback and adjust your pitch. It will become natural by doing it over and over.
Step 4: Make it about them
Make your pitch about the needs of your listener. Talk about the problems facing their industry that you are uniquely positioned to solve.
Step 5: Describe your value
Describe your value in solving these problems.
Step 6: Allow room for dialogue
Allow room for dialogue. Most people don't like to be talked at, so be conversational and show an interest in them.
Step 7: Ask for something
Ask for something – a business card, a phone call, or permission to send your resume. The point of your pitch is to break the ice and generate interest, but you need to ask for the next step.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades