Linda Matias, President of Career Strides, has written a booklet entitled "How to Say It", to help people answer tough questions during a job interview.
She says you have three choices if you are asked questions that you consider inappropriate. Your first choice is to go ahead and answer the question, but be careful because what you say can be used against you.
Secondly, think about what their intent is in asking the question. For instance, if they ask if you have children, you can simply say that there is nothing in your personal life that would interfere with your work. This way you tell them what they really want to know without actually answering the question.
Finally, if you really don't want to answer the question, just refuse to answer it. Be sure to keep your tone of voice pleasant to avoid confrontation.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades